Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bringing it All Back to 1851

I have to quickly tell you about what happened this morning. It was the most profound experience I've had thus far during my membership in Alpha Delta Pi. Today we initiated the great-great-granddaughter of one of the founding members of The Adelphean Society. Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, whose portrait we unveiled this week, holds a very special place in the heart of every Alpha Delta Pi member. 






It is from her legacy that we all descend as Alpha Delta Pi sisters. Today we welcomed her great-great-granddaughter into our sisterhood, as an alumnae initiate. I could not help but tear up as I caught eyes with Renee Bailey Iacona during the ceremony. To think. This woman is a direct descendant of one of our founders, and here we are today initiating her into Alpha Delta Pi. What must she have been thinking, knowing the legacy that she joins because of her relative? Chills! What are you doing to leave your legacy in Alpha Delta Pi?

1 comment:

  1. This was definitely the most memorable part of Convention for me. It was an honor to be a witness in that Initiation. As an ADPi alum, this is a moment that will stay with me forever...and I do believe the spirits of our founders were there too :)

    ReplyDelete